Search This Blog

Sunday, April 11, 2010

First Base



When I play first base, I have a lot to think about.

1) Before the pitcher pitches to the batter, I should be standing a few steps away from my base towards second base. Why? Because most of the time, if the ball is hit towards me, it will be between first and second base, and I will be better able to get to a ground ball hit my way.


2.) When the batter hits the ball, I need to think REALLY FAST.

a) Is the ball hit right at me? If so, I get it and run straight to my base and touch it with my foot. The batter will then be out.

b) Is the ball hit to someone else? If so, I need to run straight to my bag, step on the corner with my left foot, and get ready to catch the ball that another infielder is going to throw to me

c) I need to catch the throw with my foot on the bag. What if it is a bad throw? Now I really need to think fast. My first job is to catch the ball. If I have to leave my base to catch the ball or stop if from rolling past me, then I will leave my base to try to get the ball. Then I will try to get back to the base before the runner.

If the ball is thrown poorly, but it is still within reach, I should try to stretch with my foot still on the base and catch the ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment