Search This Blog

Sunday, April 11, 2010

second base




When I play second base. I stand three or four steps away from second base towards first base. I am in charge of any ball hit to my side of the infield. My job is to field the ball as fast as I can and throw it to first base before the runner gets there.

Sometimes I can get runners out at second base too.

1) If there is a runner on first base and the batter hits a ground ball to me, I can throw the ball to second base (the shortstop should be covering the base) and get the runner out at second.

2) If there is a runner on first base, and the batter hits a ground ball to third base side of the infield, I will want to run to second and put my foot on the base and recieve the throw from the shortstop or third baseman. If I catch the ball and put my foot on the bag before the runner gets to second, she will be out. If I have time, I can then quickly turn and throw the ball to first base. If I get the ball to first base in time, that will be another out. We call that a double play.

Here is a coach showing his players how to do this. Watch how the second baseman covers her bag to get the throw from the third baseman. Then see how she is able to quickly throw to first to try to get two outs.




Watch this great double play: the batter hits a ground ball to the shortstop, he throws to the second baseman who steps on second and throws the ball to first




No comments:

Post a Comment