Search This Blog

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Outfield


Where do I stand, coach?

Depending on which outfield position you play, you stand in one of four spots in the outfield, positions 7, 8, 9, or 10 above.

My job is to field ground balls that get through the infield, and also to catch fly balls. At my beginner level, few batters are strong enough to hit the ball into the outfield on the fly, but I must be ready to catch them just in case.

What do I do when I get the ball? Field it as quickly as I can and throw it back into the infied.

Where do I throw it? Throw it back to the pitcher. When the ball is back to the pitcher, the runners can not advance to the next base, they have to stop.

Sometimes, if I see that a runner is trying to run from first to second base, and I think I can throw it to second base in time, I will try to throw that runner out at second.

At my beginner level, however, I can't go wrong if I always throw it to the pitcher.

REMEMBER: THROW THE BALL, don't run with it. You can throw it back to the pitcher faster than you can run with it. As long as you are running, the baserunners are running too. Throw it back to the pitcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment