Search This Blog

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Third Base


I stand three or four steps away from third base, towards second base. Because most batters are right handed, most of the ground balls are going to be hit to my side of the infield (along with the shortstop position). Also, the balls that are going to be hit to me, are going to be hit the hardest, and that's why they sometimes call third base the "HOT CORNER!"

It is very important that I am always paying attention and watching the ball, because my base is close to home plate (the batter), and the balls are going to be hit very hard to me.

The third baseman has to be three things.

1) vigilant
2) fearless
3) GREEDY

I need to be a ball hog! Any ball hit to my side of the infield is MINE!!!! I must try my best to get EVERY ground ball hit to my side of the field.

Why. Isn't that RUDE? Won't I hurt the shortstop's feelings if I steal the ball away from her? NO!!! It's my JOB! Why.

1) Because I am closer to homeplate, it will take me less time to get to the ball than the shortstop who is playing a little further back.

2) By running to my left to field a ground ball, my momentum is carrying me towards first place, and I can make a throw easier than the shortstop who will be running to her right (away from first base).

No comments:

Post a Comment